So we had a small dinner party tonight and like I’ve said before, it’s a great opportunity to expose people to some amazing paleo/primal/clean eating foods and recipes that they’re not used to eating.
Tonight’s dinner was a grilled steak and asparagus salad with hoisin vinaigrette, Okinawan sweet potatoes with lime butter (recipe HERE) and a rhubarb berry mixture with coconut cream (dessert recipe HERE)
The main dish is the cover recipe from Fine Cooking, Cook Fresh Spring 2012 issue. Seriously - you need to buy this magazine – it has many more amazing recipes! We only modified this recipe by adding some baby spinach in addition to the watercress to just fill up the plate more and because we like a little more ruffage. And can I just say OMG! it was amazing and our guests freaked out for it!!
Grilled Asparagus and Steak Salad with Hoisin Vinaigrette
For the Steak & Asparagus
- · ½ TBS black peppercorns
- · 1 tsp coriander seeds
- · 1 tsp fennel seed
- · Kosher salt
- · 1 lb. thick cut New York strip steak
- · 1 ½ TBS olive oil
- · 1 lb. asparagus trimmed
For the Vinaigrette
- · 3 TBS chicken broth
- · 2 ½ TBS hoisin sauce
- · 2 TBS olive oil
- · 2 TBS white wine vinegar
- · 1 ½ tsp soy sauce
- · 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- · 1 tsp Dijon or Chinese mustard
- · 1 tsp minced garlic
- · Salt & pepper to taste
For the Salad
- · 4 cups watercress
- · 1 large mango, peeled & slivered into wedges (or use navel oranges)
- · ½ small red onion thinly sliced and soaked briefly in ice water
- · Radish sprouts for garnish
Prepare the steak & asparagus
- 1. Put the peppercorns, coriander, fennel & ½ tsp salt in a spice grinder and grind to powder.
- 2. Coat the stead with ½ TBS oil and then the peppercorn mixture
- 3. Set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 ½ hours.
- 4. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 TBS of oil and season w/salt & pepper.
Make the Vinaigrette
1. In a blender combine all the ingredients and pulse 2-3 times to mix adding more broth if necessary to achieve a silky consistency.
Grill the steak & asparagus
- Grill steaks about 5 minutes
- Flip & cook 2nd side about 4 minutes (for rare)
- Remove and put on cutting board.
- Tent with foil and let it rest while you grill the asparagus.
- Spread the asparagus out and cook, turning a few times about 5 min.
Assemble the Salad
- Arrange asparagus, cress and mango on 4 plates.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain and arrange over the salad.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the red onion and sprouts.
Here was my table setting!
I I did take a quick shot of the berry mixture for dessert!
And the final presentation of dessert layered with coconut cream!